Cannabis Film Club: Romance
Welcome to the Zen Leaf Cannabis Film Club, where we delve into the relationship between cinema and cannabis culture. In this edition, in celebration of Valentine's Day, we'll be highlighting, the romance genre! Whether you're spending the day with a significant other, friends, or solo, we've got you covered with the perfect cannabis pairings for a romantic viewing experience. As the French philosopher Simone de Beauvoir said, "Love allows us to transcend ourselves," and what better way to do that than by immersing yourself in a captivating love story while indulging in the benefits of cannabis.
Romance Films and Shows To Stream This Valentine's Day
No matter who you are celebrating Valentine's Day with, experience the many facets of love by streaming a variety of films and shows. Check out these top picks for a romantic and heartwarming night in! Plus keep reading for some of the best cannabis products to try with your boo or besties:
My Love: Six Stories About True Love (2021)
My Love: Six Stories of True Love is an emotive and captivating South Korean Netflix Original series. It features a collection of six short stories that explore the theme of true love in different ways - from first loves to long-lasting relationships. With diverse casts, experienced directors, and talented actors it's easy to be moved by this heartfelt story arc on Valentine's Day as we appreciate love in its many forms! This highly anticipated series has earned glowing reviews for tugging at our heartstrings. Meaningful tales filled with emotion make this PG-rated series perfect for celebrating special moments shared between loved ones.
Runtime: Between 64 and 74 minutes each episode
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
If you're looking for a Valentine's Day movie with more depth than the typical romantic comedy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should be your go-to. Whether it’s been years or months since you and that special someone have experienced an unforgettable moment together – this unique film will give both of you time to reflect on what brought and keeps bringing two hearts closer together. The dreamlike imagery makes it easy to see love in its purest form, while understanding how memories bring out our deepest emotions. Not only is Eternal Sunshine thought-provoking but also visually stunning, leaving a meaningful impact after every watch! Stream this love-reflecting film on Prime Video or Apple TV. Note, this move is R-rated.
Runtime: 108 minutes
Bridesmaids is a hilarious, heartwarming, R-rated reminder of the power and strength that comes with having true "gal"entines. Kristen Wiig stars as Annie, whose lifelong best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) entrusts her to be Maid of Honor for an unforgettable wedding experience. But not without its obstacles, of course! With Rose Byrne and Melissa McCarthy joining in the fun hijinks, each brings their own unique flavor along for this wild ride. From bridal shower planning to bachelorette party debauchery; viewers can't help but root for these ladies through every hurdle they face! Bridesmaids captures the joyous spirit of female friendship like no other movie does – cherishing it today more than ever before. Stream on HBO Max or Prime Video for a night of canna-fun and laughter.
Runtime: 125 minutes
Best Cannabis Products for Valentines 2023
Make the most out of your Valentine's Day by spending it with your special someone or your friends, while indulging in some great shows and cannabis products from Zen Leaf. From edibles to flower, they have a wide range of options for your Cannabis Film Club experience. Check out these recommendations for a memorable and enjoyable night:
Bits Acai Affection Gummies
Valentine's Day is the perfect opportunity to make the most of your time together, especially for a cozy movie night in. Make your stay-at-home date extra special with Bits Acai Affection gummies. Formulated with a balanced dose of 5mg THC and rose and rose hip adaptogens, these gummies will help you and your partner relax, unwind, and let go of any inhibitions or insecurities. So, dim the lights, cuddle up, and watch your favorite romantic movie together, all while enjoying the added benefits of Bits Acia Affection gummies. Always remember - it can take up to 90 minutes to feel the effects of cannabis edibles, so plan your night accordingly.
Cherry Malt Flower
Seeking the perfect aphrodisiac for Valentine's Day? Look no further. With Cherry Malt, you will escape into a place of euphoria, relaxation, and arousal. Made by crossing Wedding Cake with Kush Mints, this strain offers intoxicating kushy notes blended in a cake-like flavor of minty vanilla. What could make it more romantic? How about bright orange nugs splashed in purple performing Cupid’s duty - all while tantalizing lovebirds, so they'll succumb blissfully together!
Enjoy delicious and unique treats with pre-made options such as Bits Acai Affection gummies or beautiful nugs of Cherry Malt flower, or add an extra special touch to your movie night and consider infusing sweet snacks at home. Check out the following recipes for cannabis-infused chocolate-covered strawberries and salted caramel popcorn, perfect for that movie night in. Don't forget the most important ingredient (besides cannabis), love.
Cannabis-Infused Movie Snacks For Your Valentine's Day At Home
In recreational markets, whether you’re spending Valentine's Day with a special someone or friends, one thing is certain; it's a wonderful occasion to indulge in some delectable snacks and enjoy an uplifting cannabis experience. Forget traditional flowers and chocolates - why not make this holiday extra special by infusing your favorite treats with cannabis instead? Here are some of our top picks for easy-to-make, yet oh-so-scrumptious snacks that will upgrade your Valentine's Day celebration!
Remember: always create edibles with a dose in mind (for example, an 800mg syringe would create 40 cookies at 20mg each), and clearly label all infused treats as containing THC!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Impress your guests during your cannabis-friendly movie night with cannabis-infused chocolate-covered strawberries. This sweet, creamy, fruity snack option will surely please the palate.
To make these sweet treats, you'll need the following ingredients and equipment:
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 1 c melting chocolate (milk, dark, or white)
- 4 T cannabis-infused coconut oil (learn how to infuse oils with flower or distillate in our Cooking with Cannabis piece)
- Garnishes, if desired, sprinkles, sugar, kief, white chocolate, edible flowers, coconut, or/and nuts
- Double boiler or heatproof bowl and pot, baking tray, parchment paper, spatula
- 1. Pick the ripest strawberries, leave the stems and leaves attached, wash and dry the strawberries, and place them on a clean paper towel.
- 2. Cover baking tray with parchment paper to place your dipped strawberries on.
- 3. Add water to double boiler or pot and bring to a boil. Then add chocolate and cannabis-infused coconut oil into bowl or double boiler, and melt.
- 4. Turn off heat, but leave bowl in pot, allowing the chocolate to stay melted and easy to work with.
- 5. Using the stem of the strawberry as a handle, dip the strawberries in the chocolate, taking care to cover fully by rolling side to side.
- 6. Place on baking tray that is lined with parchment paper. Continue till all strawberries are complete.
- 7. If you are using more than one chocolate, you will need a second double boiler or pot and heatproof bowl to melt the chocolate in,
- 8. Or if you are garnishing your chocolate-covered strawberries with nuts, sprinkles, etc. make sure to do so while the chocolate is still warm.
- 9. Once all strawberries are dipped and garnished, place baking tray in refrigerator to cool and harden the chocolate.
- 10. Once cooled and hardened, place on a decorative tray and serve!
- Note: Chocolate-covered strawberries will keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Salted Caramel Popcorn
Try this cannabis-infused salted caramel popcorn recipe - it's easy to make, perfect for a movie night in bash, and is sure to be a hit!
To make cannabis-infused salted caramel popcorn, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- 1/2 c popcorn kernels
- 1 T oil of your choice - to pop kernels
- 1/2 c cannabutter
- 1/2 c regular butter
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c of maple syrup or corn syrup
- 1 t granulated salt
- 1 t coarse sea salt
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 2 T water
- 2 Large, lidded saucepans - big enough to fit 12 cups of popped popcorn
- A large mixing bowl, wooden spoon, parchment paper, and two baking trays
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2. Heat oil of your choice in saucepan, add 3 kernels, once popped add rest of kernels, cover with lid, and pop kernels, periodically shaking it to loosen the kernels.
- 3. Once all kernels have popped, transfer to mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 4. In second saucepan, melt all butter, then mix in granulated salt, brown sugar, and syrup of your choice. Use wooden spoon to stir and turn up heat to bring to boil.
- 5. Once boiling, turn down to medium heat and simmer for a few minutes, without stirring while simmering.
- 6. Add vanilla and baking soda, then stir till the ingredients appear glossy. Remove from heat.
- 7. Pour cannabis-infused mixture over popcorn in mixing bowl, stirring until evenly coated.
- 8. With parchment paper on baking trays, add popcorn to trays. Then sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- 9. Place in oven for a total of 30 minutes, mixing popcorn and flipping on different sides every 10 minutes.
- 10. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and then it's ready to eat!
Cannabis Film Club Will Be Back in May!
Stay tuned for the next edition of the Zen Leaf Cannabis Film Club, which will be back in May. Whether you're looking for a fun, action-packed adventure, a thought-provoking documentary, or a heartwarming romantic comedy, we've got you covered. We'll be sharing our top picks for that will elevate your cannabis and film pairings. So, don't forget to mark your calendars and be ready to indulge in some great films and amazing cannabis.
Content Writer for MÜV and Zen Leaf. Britt began exploring cannabis as a recreational user attempting to treat her migraines and depression. Finding success, she began to realize the many benefits of cannabis for a multitude of ailments. Her new-found knowledge prompted a move to Colorado, where she was able to medically treat her son with ADHD and aid her family in becoming healthier and happier. Realizing her passion for cannabis, she turned it into a career. Joining the industry as Medtender and moving into management gave Britt the knowledge needed to become a writer for a local cannabis culture magazine in Oklahoma and a leading voice in cannabis compliance.
If you’re ready to take motivation & productivity to new levels in 2024, try these top-rated, top-reviewed cannabis products & strains.
As we head into the new year, New Year’s Resolutions are sure to be top of mind. Try using cannabis to help achieve yours in 2024.
Is working out on your resolution list for 2024? Cannabis for workout and recovery may be just what your routine is missing. Learn more.